Windows: What Should I Get?
Spring is almost here which means it’s the perfect time to make decisions about what windows to install in your home — and it’s the best time to order your windows before the rush!
Expert Tip: You want to stay ahead of the busy installation season (April-September), so now is a great time to consider your options and order your windows.
There are lots of websites offering suggestions on the “best window for your home”, but at Bavarian Window Works, we know there is more to choosing your windows than generic comments. Here are some important considerations to keep in mind when thinking about getting new windows:
There are more material options than ever for windows, ranging from vinyl to aluminum and from fibreglass to composite. When selecting quality windows for your home, we suggest vinyl, fiberglass, wood, or hybrid.
Benefits of vinyl windows:
- Built-in UV stabilizers prevent the colour from fading and material from breaking down.
- Good moisture resistance.
- Do not require painting or staining.
- Easy to clean.
- Available in a wide range of colours, styles, and sizes.
Benefits of fibreglass windows:
- Very thermal efficient — non-conductive for heat and cold.
- High moisture resistance.
- Extremely durable.
- Can be painted.
- Easy to clean.
Benefits of wood windows:
- Attractive with high curb appeal.
- Customizable and paintable/stainable.
- Accepted as ‘historical replacement’ for heritage homes.
- Environmentally friendly.
- Very durable.
Benefits of hybrid windows:
- Ability to choose different colours for the inside and the outside of the frame.
- Pairs the durability of the exterior with warmth/colour on the interior.
- Can select maintenance-free options for the exterior with paintable options for the interior (making it easy to update your space).
- Energy efficient.
- Low maintenance.
If you thought there was a lot of choice in window materials, then you will be amazed with the number of window styles available.
It can be difficult to know which style of window will function best in your home. Here are some key questions to ask yourself when selecting new windows:
- What room will the window be in and do you want it to feel bright and welcoming, or more subdued and tranquil?
- Will you require privacy or textured glass?
- Do you want the windows to open in a particular fashion to allow air to move through your space or to make them easy to clean?
- Would you like the windows to help reduce noise from outside?
There are a lot of things to keep in mind when selecting new windows for your home. Come into Bavarian Windows Works and discuss your unique needs with our team. We’ll work with you to establish your goals and arrange a convenient time to visit your home and get measurements, so you can place your window order before the busy season hits!