Tips for Winterizing Your Windows and Doors
This winter, make sure your home is prepared for the cold months ahead. Because windows and doors are the place in your home where warm indoor air is most likely to escape, it’s important to winterize them so that you can stay warm and save on your energy bills.
- Before the winter starts, always make sure you check your window panes for cracks and have them replaced if necessary
- If you have storm windows but don’t use them year-round, make sure to install them now
- Protect your basement windows with window wells to prevent flooding and water damage
- Switch out any summer window screens
- Apply weather stripping around your doors
- If you’ve noticed a draft around any of your windows and doors, seal any gaps with caulking around the inside edge of the window frame
- Replace any door thresholds if they are worn down
- Add a sweep to the bottom of your exterior doors
- Make sure your exterior doors are hanging straight and sealed properly when they’re closed
- Install a storm door on your front and back doors
- Add extra insulation to the area behind the window or door trim, such as low-expansion spray foam
- Replace windows and doors if you still experience drafts after trying these tips
If you need a window or door replacement, contact Bavarian Window Works in Kitchener for a quote.