Your Windows – Vinyl or Hybrid or Wood?
You’ve decided you need to replace your existing windows. You’ve looked at the house magazines. You know you want windows that are energy efficient, easy to use, and attractive. But, when it comes to down to the type of window, it’s hard to know which is the best choice for your home.
You want to consider things like U-factor (the rate that a window conducts non-solar heat flow), air leakage, solar heat gain, conduction, visible transmittance, glazing, etc. It can get overwhelming.
In order to provide some clarity, Bavarian Window Works has broken down some highlights of the most popular window options for you to consider.
Vinyl windows used to be known as being cheap, both in price and in quality. This is no longer the case. While they are still generally less expensive, they have improved and offer many positive features:
- High energy efficiency
- Maintenance-free and very durable
- Customizable- lots of choice of style, colour, size
A hybrid window is any style of window where the exterior frame is made from different material than the interior frame. This could be aluminum on the outside and wood on the inside or fibreglass on the outside and PVC on the inside…or another combination. Hybrid windows offer many positive features:
- Ability to choose different colours for the inside and the outside
- Match the durability and rigidity for the exterior with warmth and colour on the interior
- Select maintenance-free options for the exterior with paintable options for the interior (making it easy to update your space)
The classic frame option, wood windows provide durability, visual appeal, and are environmentally friendly. Typically clad in aluminum they will provide a maintenance-free exterior, or they can be painted or stained. If they are looked after (with regular maintenance and weatherproofing), wood windows can outlast PVC windows.
- Attractive, high curb appeal
- Customizable and paintable/stainable (interior and/or exterior)
- Accepted as ‘historical replacement’ for heritage homes
- Environmentally friendly (use approximately 8x less energy to make than PVC)
Whatever your needs, or your style, Bavarian Window Works can help you with your window choices and installation. We carry a wide range of options and brands (from Lepage to Ostaco and Sunrise to Marvin), our showroom is filled with a beautiful selection of windows to choose from. Check us out online and visit us in-store at 2236 Shirley Drive in Kitchener.