It’s that time of year again, it’s getting cool outside again. It’s time to turn on your furnace and stock up on wood for your fireplace. It’s also the perfect time to start preparing for the cooler season by replacing your old casement windows. Windows that are damaged, or have reached their end of life, should be replaced before the snow falls. There’s no point in heating the street.
What are casement windows?
Casement windows are attached to frames with hinges (typically at the side, and sometimes at the top), and they are generally installed in pairs. These windows are opened with a crank or a lever and are one of the most popular kinds of windows on the market.
Casement windows replaced stone mullioned windows at the end of the eighteenth century. Back then, they were hand-crafted using iron and small panes of glass. They have come a long way since those times, and are now available in a wide range of sizes, colours, and pane options.
How do I know if my casement windows need replacing?
There are many reasons to replace your casement windows, here are the most common situations that homeowners experience:
- Wooden casements exhibit rot and/or mould
- Window sashes require constant fixing
- Single-paned windows, from before 1978, may have lead-based paint
- Strong drafts may indicate an improperly sized window
- Older hinges may not open wide enough to meet fire codes
What style of casement window should I purchase?
Casement windows are available in wide variety of styles, finishes, and are available in vinyl or wood.
Styles of casements include:
- Push-out- a folding lever is used to push the window outward to open
- In-swing French (sometimes called double casement) – handles move inwards to pull the windows inside to open
- Common post- a centre post is shared by two windows on either side
What brand of casement window should I purchase?
There are many brands to choose from. At Bavarian Window Works, we carry the top brands in wood and vinyl casement windows, and we ensure that they are customized to your specifications.
Our brands each have their own specialization including:
- Lepage Millwork- top quality wood, wood-clad, and hybrid casements
- Marvin Windows- made-to-order wood, wood-clad, and fibreglass casements
- Ostaco- well insulated, multi-locking casements
- Euro Vinyl- steel reinforced, energy efficient casements
- Sunrise- custom sized blinds between the glass
- KV Windows- unique styles and looks of casements
- Hometech- speciality vinyl and glazing on casements
We know you want to feel informed before purchasing and installing new windows in your home. Bavarian Window Works is happy to help you understand your options and find a solution that meets your needs, matches your style, and fits your budget. Come and visit us today .