When you’re building a new home, there are a million decisions to be made. Building a home from the foundation up means that every detail is up to you — which is exciting, but can feel overwhelming.
One of the most important decisions you will need to make is to choose what kind of windows to install. The windows you select will impact your home’s appearance, will influence how much light will enter your rooms, and will also have an impact on your home’s energy-efficiency.
The options for energy-efficient and beautiful windows are more numerous than ever. Here are some important trends and styles to consider for your new home:
New Construction Window & Door Trends
The Window Wall
One of the hottest trends is the window wall. A window wall is just as it sounds — a wall of windows! It’s popular for many reasons, including:
- They add significant architectural interest to your home and enhance your curb appeal.
- They allow a lot of natural light to enter your home — natural light boosts healthy living.
- They are a great way to enjoy a view.
- They help to make your room appear more spacious.
- They are flexible in design and can accommodate a variety of spaces.
- The technology has been advanced to allow for easy opening and use.
The Indoor/Outdoor Space
Sometimes known as a ‘transitional space’, an indoor/outdoor space blends the exterior, natural environment, with the interior of the home. Allowing your interior and exterior spaces to flow together seamlessly is very much on-trend.
Sliding glass patio doors, floor-to-ceiling windows, scenic doors, and folding doors are a great way to achieve this look in your new home. The expansive bi-fold door or lift-and-slide door from LePage Millworks is perfect for creating this kind of space.
New Construction Window & Door Materials
Here are some of the most commonly used, and recommended, materials for your new windows and doors:
- Fibreglass is a great choice as it is durable and more energy-efficient.
- Vinyl windows are made with ultraviolet light stabilizers to keep sunlight from breaking down the material and they’re a great low-maintenance option.
- Wood window frames are beautiful and can easily be updated with paint and stain colours to reflect your interior and exterior design.
New Construction Window & Door Styles
Here are some of the most commonly used, and recommended, styles for your new windows and doors:
Casement & Awning Windows
This style of window is large and stationary and lets in the most light. Picture windows are ideal for an expansive view of the outdoors.
Door Transom & Sidelites
A transom is a smaller section of window, mounted above a door or window to let in additional light. Sidelites are a trending door feature and allow light to enter your front entrance. The types of glass can be simple, decorative, or even frosted for privacy.
There is no shortage of options when shopping for windows. At Bavarian Window Works, we have the expertise to help you find the perfect windows for your new home. We pride ourselves on the quality of our products and our people.
Contact us to learn more about available products and services!